10/17/11

cabin fever

 We are on day 9 of McKenna's tummy bug and it has been a long 9 days...
She has finally begun to improve each day but still not 100%. My mom came in town Friday to help me out for a couple days and it was so nice to have her here. Unfortunately she now has the tummy bug. Sorry mom.
DSC_0072
While my mom was here I started working on Ella's halloween costume. I don't have it all finished to show you yet but it involves a dress with patches sewed on, two mismatched knee high socks, brown boots,  orange hair spray, two braids and a coat hanger:) 
DSC_0070
Some other inside activities that I have attempted (and failed at) over the last 9 days are perfecting my chocolate chip cookies and crocheting. 
Thank y'all so much for the tips on my flat cookies! I wish I could say they worked. I think it's me, not the ingredients. I have bought all fresh ingredients and even put my dough in the freezer for about 20 minutes before baking them and still my result is always the same. flat as a board. After seeing this cookie recipe on pinterest I really thought my luck was about to change. The caption under the picture said "fluffiest, chewiest, most amazing chocolate chip cookies." The recipe called for cornstarch which was supposed to be the magical ingredient that made them so fluffy. I don't doubt the recipe at all. I am sure that 99.9% percent of people that make these cookies have full success. I am that .1%. Next time Kristen and I get together she is going to stand over my shoulder while I bake. I am not giving up on this.
DSC_0074
Then I watched youtube videos for hours learning how to crochet bows and flowers. Once again I need Kristen standing over my shoulder. She's a pro.
IMG_3008
Maybe next time I should make the big and chunky one for my big girl and the small and dainty one for my baby. 
IMG_3012
You guys remember my Granny's chairs that have been on my to-do list for months now?
DSC_0079
I still have to paint them and recover the cushions but I at least got them sanded down and ready for the next step. 
DSC_0078
DSC_0084
DSC_0083
My plan was to paint them a very light grey (or is it gray? I never know how to spell it) but because I already own a bucket of white paint in the garage that just sounds easier so they will probably end up white just like I did the dining room table.
I have no idea what fabric to recover the cushions with. I already had this navy and white stripe fabric from ikea but it might be a little bold for the chair. 
IMG_3045
I don't know, I will have to see what it looks like when the chairs are white.
Anyways, hope everyone is having a great week and staying well!

8 comments:

Julia Copeland said...

Hello! I had the same problem with my cc cookies til I found this recipe! You HAVE to try them. They are seriously the best cookies I've ever made/eaten! Here's the link: http://penniesonaplatter.com/2010/09/29/perfectly-puffy-chocolate-chip-cookies/
Julia

Berg said...

I like the idea of stripes on the chairs, but I think that pattern is a little too wide. Just some feedback :)

kristen said...

i love the stripes!! i love the chairs! i think that pattern is so fun. i just don't know how you are functioning when you have been up and taking care of a sick baby for 10 days!! you are amazing!!!!

Melanie said...

Hey, on your cookies, are you softening your butter or melting it? One time I just stuck the butter in the microwave bc I didn't have time to let it soften on the counter and my cookies were flatter than flat. Just a thought, may not be the ingredients at all. :) Good luck. I can't wait to see those chairs redone.

Lifethrualinds said...

1) Poor McKenna! I hope today is the turning point for yall..and poor JoJo now!
2) IMO - who cares what those cookies look like!? It's all about the taste...and I am sure they are delish!!
3) I love the crochet bows...look at you go!?
4) I LOVE the stripes...I say go for it. I have that same material in yellow stripe and I am not sure what to do with it....
5) that's all....and I love you!

Foster Facts said...

Ok.... I recently went to a cooking school in savannah & realized I was measuring my flour wrong for all these years. Maybe this could be the problem? When measuring flour, he told us to use 1measuring cup and lightly shake the flour into another measuring cup. You end up using a lot less flour and it's a more accurate measurement rather than packing the cup full & leveling it off. Maybe this is making the cookies flat????
Crystal

Josh, Erica, Garrett, and Haylee said...

I have always had flat cookies as well. I found this website with tips....haven't tried it yet but just might tomorrow!! Good luck and so sorry about your baby (and mom!) :(

http://www.baking911.com/cookies/chocolate_chip.htm

The Rodriguez Crew said...

Oh man, the grey chairs would be sooooo sooo good. With the white table??! Very "life in the fun lane." do you look at her blog? Do the GREY!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...